Sunday 2 November 2008

Hamilton claims title glory in remarkable finish


Lewis Hamilton became formula one's youngest champion after an astonishing finale to the Brazilian grand prix.

Hamilton, needing only a fifth-place finish to become Britain's first champion since Damon Hill in 1996, pulled it off after entering the last lap in sixth.

With the title seemingly slipping away for the second year in a row, he had Toyota's Timo Glock to thank after Glock stayed out on dry tyres when the heavens opened.

Hamilton powered past for fifth place as the final corner approached. "Before it started to rain I was quite comfortable," he said. "My tyres were a little bit shot so I was struggling to keep the pace up but I was able to stay ahead of Vettel.

"Then it started to drizzle and I didn't want to take any risks and he [Vettel] passed me, and I was told I had to get in front of him. I couldn't believe it and at the last corner I managed to get past Glock - and I can only thank God."

Ferrari's Felipe Massa, Hamilton's sole title rival, won his home race for the second time in three years to chalk up a record 16th constructors' title for Ferrari, but was understandly disappointed with the result.

"I'm so proud about the race, the team, the people around who support me more than ever," he said. "That is a really emotional day for me because you have almost done everything perfectly. I saw Lewis pass Glock and that really mixed a lot of emotion. Unfortunately we missed [out] by one point but that's racing - we need to be proud of our job, our race, our championship. I know how to win, I know how to lose, we are going to learn a lot with these days."

Hamilton, who missed out by a single point to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen in Brazil last season, ended the 18-race season one point clear of Massa. But that table does not tell half the story of the most dramatic climax in formula one history.

Britain's last world champion, Damon Hill, told Sky News: "I send my heartfelt congratulations to the Hamilton family - it will have to go down as one of the most exciting formula one races ever. It's a momentous day. We're here celebrating another British world champion and I'm really pleased. He will go on and win more championships. He's been through the biggest, toughest test you can possibly go through and he's bringing the cup home here."

Renault's Fernando Alonso finished the race in second place and Raikkonen came home third.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/nov/02/formulaone-lewishamilton1



No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm just an ordinary man who try to live my life...